Ace Hardware in Glen Cove is hosting a fire safety event this weekend to raise awareness about the increased risks of not being prepared for the upcoming holiday season. The store will partner with the Glen Cove Volunteer Fire Department and First Alert, offering information and raffles at the Forest Avenue location on Saturday, Oct. 29 and Sunday, Oct. 30.
“I reached out to the fire department because I wanted to draw awareness to fire safety and the importance of changing batteries on smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors,” said store manager John Muniz. “Keeping them up to date is necessary.”
From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. both days, people can stop by the store at 195 Forest Ave. and talk to members of the fire department and enter raffles. As a perk, Muniz said the store will be raffling off a Weber grill and bundle packages of First Alert smoke detectors. Raffle tickets are $5 and all proceeds will go to the GCVFD.
To coordinate the event, Muniz worked with GCVFD Chief Philip Grella and third assistant chief Robert Retoske, as well as Brad Parsons and Michael Andlovec from First Alert.
“Typically, this time of year, we do see an increase in sales of smoke detectors,” said Muniz, who has been with company for nine years and at the current location for the past year.
“With all the wiring for holiday lights, it’s very important to have working smoke detectors.”
Additionally, he noted that “too many” deaths occur every year from carbon monoxide poisoning, mainly because it is undetected either from the detectors being outdated or the homeowner failing to install them.
“It’s a very unfortunate thing, so we want to make sure people in the community are aware,” said Muniz.