By Elizabeth Johnson
The Long Island Fair is 173 years old and it is coming to Old Bethpage Village Restoration this fall. Entries are being accepted for the Annual Blue Ribbon Contest.
Artisans, craftspeople, botanists, gardeners and overall Long Island Fair enthusiasts are invited to plan their entry for the Annual Blue Ribbon Contest at the Old Bethpage Village Restoration, which takes place this year on Sept. 25 to 27 and Oct. 2 to 4. The deadline for entry forms for Advanced and Poetry is 4 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 4; all other entries are due by 4 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 11.
As has been the custom each year, all are invited to enter their handcrafts, original artwork, needlework, produce, floral arrangements, models, dollhouses and culinary delights into the six-day event and vie for the “best in class” prize.
For details and contest entry forms, visit www.lifair.org and click on Premium Book, call the Long Island Fair office at 516-572-0257. The Long Island Fair is located at 1303 Round Swamp Rd., Old Bethpage, exit 48 on the Long Island Expressway.
Entries may also be submitted online.
The entry drop-off guidelines are as follows:
• Hobbies and needlework entries can be brought in Sunday, Sept. 20, from 2 to 6 p.m. or Monday, Sept. 21, from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
• Flowers, fruits, vegetables and culinary products can be brought in Thursday, Sept. 24, between 8 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.
• Horses can be brought in on Thursday, Sept. 24, between 5 and 8 p.m., or on Friday, Sept. 25, between 7 and 9 a.m.
• Culinary delights may also be dropped off on Friday, Sept. 25, between 7 and 8 a.m.
• Rabbits and guinea pigs can be brought in on Thursday, Oct. 1, between 5 and 7 p.m.