Plaque Dedication Ceremony At Historical Museum

0
351

The North Shore Historical Museum held a reception for the unveiling of the third fundraising plaque and of three chairs named in honor of Judge Joseph McCann, Georgie Connett and the late Arthur Finer. The Raise the Eagle Façade Improvement Plaque was unveiled by NSHM vice president Rhoda Finer after a welcome from president Georgie Connett.
Museum director Amy Driscoll also welcomed guests, which included Glen Cove Mayor Reggie Spinello and his wife, Coleen Cole Spinello.

Plaque_050416A
Sophia Chavez does rubbings at the exhibit

The room was filled with people who had contributed to the plaques and supporters of the museum. Delicious hors d’oeuvres were generously donate by the Atria, the museum’s next door neighbor. Wine and champagne were also served. Board member who planned the reception were Linda Darby, Eve Califano and Victoria Crosby.

The Naming Opportunity Plaques were placed on three chairs and the donations received from these and the Raise the Eagle Plaque help the museum to continue to raise funds for renovations to the facade of the 1907 Justice Court building, on Glen Street in Glen Cove, which has been completely restored inside and has been open as a museum since January 2013. There are other naming opportunities available to those who would like to honor or memorialize a loved one.

Plaque_050416C
NSHM Director Amy Driscoll with NSHM board members Tiana Taliep, Linda Darby and Victoria Crosby

The current exhibit is The North Shore Worships; An Historical Overview With Local Cemeteries and Burial Grounds. Young Sophia Chavez was working on stone rubbings in the area which depicted the ornamentation of gravestone.

The exhibit includes photographs, artifacts and information about the many varied religious institutions on the North Shore.

For further information about any programs, exhibits or naming opportunities visit www.northshorehistoricalmuseum.org or call Amy Driscoll at 516-801-1191.

The museum is at 140 Glen St. in Glen Cove. Museum hours are Wednesday from 2 to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Leave a Reply